About The Church
Tugby lies just off the busy A47 to the east of Leicester. It was recorded as Tochebi and part of Rothley Manor in the Domesday Book and in the 12th century was named Tokebi. The name might derive from the Tokisby or ‘Tokis Farm’ from the Danelaw period.
The church of St Thomas a Becket is on an elevated site towards the north end of the village near to the A47. It consists of a west tower, south porch and aisle, nave and chancel. The oldest part of the church, the base of the tower, most probably dates to the Saxon period.
The south doorway is also Norman although the porch was added in 1873 when a major restoration included the rebuilding of the chancel, re-roofing of the church re-roofed and the addition of the south aisle.
Open seating was also added at this time, as was the organ and three stained glass windows. The north wall has a blocked leper squint (or window) which can still be made out.
9.00am – 4.30pm