Tugby’s St Thomas Beckett parish church has been awarded up to £10,700 by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to develop a project to save the church’s ancient tower.
A further £170,600 has been earmarked by HLF for the project, to be released at a later date after a second application.
The church of St Thomas a Becket is on an elevated site towards the north end of the village near to the A47. It consists of a west tower, south porch and aisle, nave and chancel. The oldest part of the church, the base of the tower, most probably dates to the Saxon period.
The south doorway is also Norman although the porch was added in 1873 when a major restoration included the rebuilding of the chancel, re-roofing of the church re-roofed and the addition of the south aisle.
Open seating was also added at this time, as was the organ and three stained glass windows. The north wall has a blocked leper squint (or window) which can still be made out.